Sunday 8 March 2015

What I’m Currently Working On

The first book I wrote was a science fiction although people have told me since it’s a mystery as well as it kept them in suspense as to what would happen next and how the story would end. I love the genres of science fiction and fantasy equally though and whilst I have more ideas for science fiction books I decided I would work on a fantasy next. In fact it will be book 1 of at least a 2 book fantasy series as I had too much storyline I wanted write to make it just a single book.

Although some may say the genres are fairly close I’m noticing the significant differences. With the fantasy it can be quite challenging to try and make a fantasy world and events that can’t possibly happen seem real. It’s nice though being able to let my imagination run wild and dream up whatever I like although I still have the boundaries I’ve set myself of trying to make it seem real.

I’ve finished the first draft of the first book and now I’ve just started the process of going through re-writing vast amounts and refining other parts so it will be a while yet before it’s finished. Also I’ve never attempted writing a series before and my inclination is to start writing book 2 before publishing this one. I know from experience I find, although I have a storyline planned, I will stumble across ways I feel I can improve it during writing which leaves me having to alter earlier events to match with the new events that unfold later. That would definitely cause me problems if I had already published the first book and therefore could no longer change it.

I’m also getting to the point where I need to start thinking about a cover and title for the book which I have to admit I’m a bit baffled about. I do have a vague idea of how I want the cover to look but I think choosing a title that hasn’t already been used by either a film or book is one of the most difficult aspects of writing. Also it is tough finding a name that suitably reflects the contents of the book and portrays the right image for it. I’m still not sure the title of my previous book is the most suitable but there were too many things already titled want I wanted to originally call it so I ended up with about my 20th choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment